What It's All About

I'm in my mid-40s. I do a lot, but I have a long list of things I used to do, including running marathons. This blog is about one middle-aged man's attempt to get his mojo back by running just one more marathon (well, actually two).

Monday, November 1, 2010

Getting Closer


Not too many of my posts have been about the stated topic of this blog: my quest to run one more marathon (possibly two). I'll rectify this oversight with this post, as I know my fans and followers are on the edge of their seats. Especially my fans in Denmark, which after the United States boasts the second largest following of this blog. I've always had this impression that the populace of Denmark is terribly bored. That impression is now confirmed.

I've honed in on a marathon to run. It is the Thunder Road marathon which is being held in Charlotte, NC on December 11. I was hesitant to commit to a specific race, fearing that such a commitment would lead to injuries as I inevitably ignored the pains of my 47-year old body in my quest to stay on schedule. Now, I just fear entering the race since the fee is $95! For $95 there'd better be a Top Cat waiting for me at the finish line.

My training is going pretty well. I hooked up with the Davidson Area Running Team (D.A.R.T.) a few months ago. Having a group to run with has been a godsend for my running. I started out running 4-6 miles with them, and have steadily worked my way up to 20 mile runs. I've loved getting out early in the morning, frequently running with headlamps and other times by the light of the moon. Compared to some of the men and women in this group, I'm a novice. I've enjoyed progressing in my running and seeing others progress as well. I'm frequently out front on our training runs, but when race time comes I'm still the 'boy' who gets separated from the 'men' so to speak. These guys and gals have incredible stamina and can maintain a strong pace better than I.

The second marathon that I frequently allude to is the Boston Marathon. My goal is to qualify for Boston. I ran Boston in 1993, but I did so as a 'wildcat' together with my boss at the time. It was one of my most memorable races. Everything you've heard about the Boston Marathon is true, from the girls at Wellsley College (don't get any ideas; they just line up en masse on the course and cheer like crazy) to Heartbreak Hill. I finished in 3 hours and 35 minutes, about 10 minutes in front of my boss. A short while after finishing I was walking around and a lady came up to me and gave me a beautiful bouquet of a dozen red roses and told me I had the best legs she had seen all day. In Denmark they're bored; in Boston either blind or lacking for men with good legs. I wish I could find the photo I have of me in my space blanket holding the roses.

To officially qualify for Boston at the age of 47 I'll need to run a time of 3 hours and 30 minutes and 59 seconds or less. I've run marathons that fast three times before, but all before the age of 35. It's a bit harder now.

To put it in perspective, 3:30 for a marathon is an 8-minute mile pace. On my last long training run I ran 20 miles in an 8:09 pace, so I'm encouraged. That day I ran solo. Charlotte's a tough, hilly course, but with the excitement of the race and thousands of other runners I think I can manage an 8 minute pace.

There are about six weeks left until December 11. This weekend I'll run another 20-miler, and if all goes to plan I'll run 22 or 23 miles around November 20, then I'll taper down my mileage for the last 3 weeks. I'm getting kind of excited just writing about it. Perhaps I should blog about sex.

Many things can happen though. The last time I seriously trained for a marathon was around 2003, and a month prior to the race I ran 23 miles at a pace that was faster than the Boston qualifying pace at the time. I thought I had it in the bag, but the next week I severely pulled a calf muscle and never recovered. I'm taking it a bit easier this time, and waiting until the actual marathon to run the time I need.

The attached photo is of Fisher Farm Park in Davidson, NC. I love running through Fisher Farm. There's a nice stream, woods, meadows, you name it. A great place to run early in the morning. I highly encourage you to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment