What It's All About

I'm in my mid-40s. I do a lot, but I have a long list of things I used to do, including running marathons. This blog is about one middle-aged man's attempt to get his mojo back by running just one more marathon (well, actually two).

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Major Mojo in the Morning!


This morning I ran for only the 2nd time in the last 10 days (see prior post about the groin injury). When I headed out the door at 5:45 the temperature was already at 77, a record even for this hottest of summers. I was not anticipating a great run.

I was wearing some new Brooks running shoes that I picked up at Omega Sports over the weekend (close out special of only $60, and tax free to boot). This was my first run in them, which gave me some encouragement.

The first mile from my home to our meeting spot at CVS was uneventful. It was pretty dark, which is a bit of a recent change.

Our running group (the Davidson Area Running Team) had 11 runners this morning. We ran the cross-country trails at Davidson College. Most of the trails are through the woods, which at this time of the morning were pretty dark. Without headlamps, trail running in the dark can be quite an adventure.

I had a very strong run. Perhaps it was the rest I've given my body this past week, or the excitement of trail running in the dark. We ran between a 7:30 and 7:45 pace for the 4 miles I was on the trail. For me, that's quite good, especially considering the hills of the cross country course.

The best thing about this morning's run is that I felt no pain in the groin. I'll still take it easy for a couple of weeks, and hope for a continued recovery. I've lost a couple of weeks in my training for perhaps one more marathon, but I'm encouraged by the reemergence of mojo this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment