What It's All About

I'm in my mid-40s. I do a lot, but I have a long list of things I used to do, including running marathons. This blog is about one middle-aged man's attempt to get his mojo back by running just one more marathon (well, actually two).

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Steady On, Narcissist


I've always thought that if one can do tomorrow what they can do today, they'll never experience a physical decline. I know it doesn't always work out that way, but it seems to be an easy concept. I feel pretty strongly that my physical capabilities, limited as they are, will not diminish overnight. In fact, if I rest well and eat a good breakfast, they might even improve.

This evening I googled 'Rodney Graham Davidson NC' just to see what might be out there about me on the world wide web. Admit it, you've all done it. The first page was mostly items about my company, John Marshall Custom Homes, and some commentary that I've written on our local news site, DavidsonNews.net.

On the middle of the second page of results were two race results, both 5Ks. In May 2007 I ran the Town Day race in Davidson. At age 43 I finished in 22 minutes and 36 seconds. Three years later in June 2010, I ran a 5K in China Grove, NC. You can probably guess my time: 22 minutes and 36 seconds.

So, in just over 3 years I've held steady on my 5K times. Exactly. Of course, about 18 years ago I posted a 5K time of around 17:50, which equates to an average daily slowdown of 4/100ths of a second in my 5K time.

4/100ths of a second isn't much. From day to day it's imperceptible. But, over time it adds up. At this pace I'll be running about a 28 minute 5K when I'm 66, and 33 minutes when I'm 86. Actually, if I'm running at all when I'm 86 I'll be quite happy.

For now my goal will be to knock 4/100ths of a second per day off of my 5K time. Turn back the clock so to speak. My other goal is still to run another marathon (well, two actually).

Steady on!

No comments:

Post a Comment